A quick guide to decision making

If you are a long-term carer and parental responsibility has been allocated to the Minister of Family and Community Services (FACS), then you will be responsible for making many of the day-to-day decisions about your child. However, certain decisions can only be made by your agency (whether that's FACS or a non-government agency). There are also a small number of decisions that can only be made by FACS.

These guides give you some basic information about which decisions you can make on your own, and which need input from your agency. If you're not sure whether you can make a decision in a particular situation, or if you need help to organise approval either from your agency or from FACS, contact your caseworker.